Community’s history and interesting facts

Myrhorod city community is a territorial community in Ukraine, in Myrhorod district of Poltava region. The administrative center is the city of Myrhorod.

Myrhorod is one of the oldest settlements of Left Bank Ukraine. Historians assume that it was founded in the 12th-13th centuries as a guard post on the eastern outskirts of Kyivan Rus. The first mentions of Myrhorod occur in the 16th century. which in 1576, by the decision of the Polish king Stefan Batory, Myrhorod became the center of the registered Cossack regiment. during the 17th century, the city changed its owners – Polish magnates – several times.

At the end of the 16th – at the beginning of the 17th century. Myrhorod, a small town inhabited by registered Cossacks who were in the service of the Polish king. Registrants took part in uprisings against the Polish nobility: in 1637 under the leadership of Pavliuk, in 1638 under the leadership of Hetman Yakov Ostryanin.

During the Liberation War against the nobility in 1648-1654, Myrhorod again became a regimental city. The regiment numbered 2,630 Cossacks. In 1658, a large part of the Cossacks, led by the Myrhorod colonel H. Lisnytskyi, supported Hetman I. Vyhovskyi, who was trying to restore Ukraine’s independence. The people of Myrhorod, also later (in 1666), supported the hetman of the right-bank Ukraine, P. Doroshenko, who pursued an anti-Russian policy. Great uprisings broke out here against Moscow’s serf policy. At the beginning of the 18th century Myrhorod was an important trade and cultural center. On the initiative of folk masters, an art and industrial school named after M. Gogol was founded here.

  • XII – XIII centuries – Approximate time of foundation of the city of Myrhorod
  • 1576 – According to the decision of the Polish king Stefan Batory, Myrhorod becomes the center of the registered Cossack regiment.
  • 1594 – 1596 – Myrhorod Cossacks were participants in the Nalivaika peasant-Cossack uprising
  • 1637 – The Myrhorod Regiment takes part in the Peasant-Cossack Uprising of Pavlyuk
  • 1638 – Participation of Myrhorod Cossacks in the peasant-Cossack uprising against the Polish nobility led by Hetman Yakov Ostryanytsia.
  • In 1638, as a result of the peasant-Cossack uprising of Ostryanin, the Myrhorod Regiment was temporarily liquidated.
  • 1648 – With the beginning of the Liberation War under the leadership of Bohdan Khmelnytskyi, the Cossack regiment was restored and existed from to 1782.
  • 1649 – The date from which the city became the administrative center of the Myrhorod Cossack Regiment.
  • 1650 and 1656 – Hetman Bohdan Khmelnitsky visits the Myrhorod regiment. The reason for the personal visit to the small town is that during those years the Myrhorod regiment was the third largest of the 16 regiments of Ukraine and was one of the most capable in the army of Bohdan Khmelnytskyi, and the town itself was a significant center for the manufacture of saltpeter and gunpowder. Accordingly, during this period, Myrhorod Cossacks took part in all the main events of the war with Poland.
  • 1695 – Myrhorod Cossacks as part of the Ukrainian-Russian army took part in the storming of the Turkish fortress of Azov, where “Colonel Myrhorodsky Danylo Apostol showed bravery more than others.”
  • From the beginning of the 18th century, Myrhorod became a well-known agricultural, trade and cultural center on the territory of the Left Bank of Ukraine. Myrhorod tinsmiths, potters, cobblers, weavers, and carpenters were famous for their products. Crowded fairs were held in the city 4 times a year. Myrhorod merchants traded with Danzig (former Gdańsk), Leipzig, and Berlin.
  • 1700-1721 – The Myrhorod Regiment as part of the Russian army participates in foreign campaigns, in particular, in the Northern War (1700-1721).
  • 1727 – With the restoration of the hetmanship, the Myrhorod colonel Danylo Apostol was elected hetman of Left Bank Ukraine (he remained in this position until his death in 1734).
  • 1756 – 1763 – the Myrhorod regiment as part of the Russian army and led by Colonel Vasyl Kapnist participated in the Seven Years’ War (1756 – 1763).
  • 1782 – With the liquidation of the regimental Cossack system, Myrhorod entered the Kyiv Governorship.
  • 1796 – Myrhorod became part of the Little Russian province
  • 1802 – Myrhorod became the county town of the Myrhorod County of the newly formed Poltava Governorate.
  • 1812 – During the Russo-French war, Myrhorod citizens took an active part in hostilities. It was at that time that the Siver Dragoon Regiment was quartered in Myrhorod, where the founder of the new Ukrainian literature, I. P. Kotlyarevskyi, served.
  • 1845 — Taras Hryhorovych Shevchenko visited Myrhorod. Here the poet wrote the famous poem “The Great Cellar” and other works. A monument to Kobzarev has been erected at the corner of the street named after him and Gogol Street.
  • 1859 – According to the data of the time, 5,859 people (2,883 males and 2,974 females) lived in the city, there were 1,203 farmsteads, there were 4 Orthodox churches, a hospital, a county school, a post office, and 4 fairs were held annually.
  • 1860 – 1861 – The famous Ukrainian writer Anatoly Svidnytskyi teaches literature at the Myrhorod District School. In Myrhorod, he wrote his best works – the folklore and ethnographic essay “Easter in the glades” and the first part of the novel-chronicle “Lyuboratsky”.
  • 1865 – According to the calculations of Osip Bodyansky, given by him in the “Commemorative Book of the Poltava Province for the year 1865”, Myrhorod had 9,842 inhabitants, 1,166 houses, 36 shops, a county school, a hospital, a post office; the majority of the population was engaged in agriculture, about a thousand people were chumaks or went to different places to earn money. In the city there were 257 workers, 166 merchants, 12 industrial enterprises worked – 10 oil factories and two brick factories.
  • 1896 – Mykola Gogol Art and Industrial School was founded in Myrhorod. Currently, it is the Art and Industrial College named after M. Gogol Poltava National Technical University named after Yury Kondratyuk is a center of artistic ceramics recognized by all of Ukraine.
  • 1900 — Prominent Ukrainian artist and ethnographer Opanas Slastyon comes to Myrhorod and becomes a teacher and manager of the Mykola Gogol Art and Industrial School. During the civil war, he headed the commission for the collection of cultural and artistic values in the Myrhorod region, and in 1920 he founded the Art and Industrial Museum in Myrhorod, to which he presented his collection of antiquities. He retired in 1928. Buried at the Myrhorod Central Cemetery.
  • 1901 – the Myrhorod railway station of the Kyiv-Poltava railway was opened.
  • 1902 – On Pryvokzalnaya Square st. A bronze bust of Mykola Gogol was installed in Myrhorod. Since then, the main street of the city has been named after him.
  • March 1917 – Myrhorod is part of the Ukrainian People’s Republic.
  • April 1917 – A bath department was opened in the city bath of Myrhorod, which became the beginning of the Myrhorod resort.
  • 1922 – 1941 and 1943 – 1991 – Soviet occupation of Myrhorod. During this time, the city survived two famines – 1932-1933 and 1946-1947. In memory of this crime, the city has organized a Museum of Memory of the Victims on the territory of the former children’s concentration camp.
  • 1941 – 1943 – Nazi occupation of Myrhorod, in particular, from September 1, 1942 to September 18, 1943, it was the center of the Myrhorod Gebit.
  • On February 8, 1946, the Myrhorod School of Agricultural Mechanization was founded. Currently, Vocational and Technical School No. 44 in Myrhorod, which trains qualified personnel on the basis of basic and full general secondary education.
  • By 1966, 22 enterprises were already operating in the city. During the years 1959-1965, a powerful bread factory, a 124-meter reinforced concrete bridge over the Khorol River, a vegetable cannery, a department store, a communication hub, cinemas, and the central street named after Gogol were paved. Gasification of the city was started.
  • On December 6, 1976, by decree of the Presidium of the Verkhovna Rada of the Ukrainian SSR, Myrhorod was assigned to the category of cities of regional subordination (previously, Myrhorod had this status from December 30, 1962 to January 4, 1965).
  • On April 11, 1977, by decree of the Presidium of the Verkhovna Rada of the Ukrainian SSR, the villages of Zinchashi and Pochaptsi were included in Myrhorod.
  • On September 6, 2001, the Myrhorod City Council approved the city’s official coat of arms and flag.
  • July 2001 – The first International Chess Festival was held. Since then, chess players from Ukraine, Armenia and Russia regularly take part in it.
  • 2001 – The first annual All-Ukrainian festival of modern Ukrainian romance “Autumn Rendezvous”, in which famous singers of Ukraine take part. The organizers of the festival are Poltava Regional State Administration, Myrhorod City Council, PrJSC “Myrhorodkurort”, the directorate of the International Song Festival “Fate” together with the National Radio Company of Ukraine.
  • 2001 – The popularity rating “Myrhorod Man of the Year” is held for the first time. This event does not lose its relevance throughout its existence, and its highlight was the presentation of a four-meter towel – the amulet of the Myrhorod community. The Ukrainian amulet was embroidered during the year by more than 30 of the city’s best embroiderers.
  • 2003 — The first All-Ukrainian Greco-Roman wrestling tournament named after Ivan Zubkovskyi. Later, the tournament became famous and popular not only among all regions of Ukraine, but also among wrestlers from Belarus, who regularly come to it.
  • On April 5, 2009, the Myrhorod city organization of the Ukrainian People’s Party opened a memorial to the participants of the uprising against the Bolshevik-Chekist terror, which took place on April 1-4, 1919, led by Serhii Dubchak.
  • October 15-16, 2011 – In Myrhorod, the gastronomic festival “Myrhorod Pig-2011” will be held for the first time. The event gathered guests from all over Ukraine, who had the opportunity to take part in non-traditional entertainment competitions, to appreciate the performances of folk amateur groups of Myrhorod and guests of the festival.
  • 2011 – In honor of the 20th anniversary of Ukraine’s Independence, the Myrhorodfest festival is held for the first time.
  • 2011 – The First All-Ukrainian festival-competition “Nightingale of Ukraine” took place in Myrhorod. 33 soloists and children’s groups from 18 regions of Ukraine became participants in the television show.
  • 2011 – The tour of the youth basketball league of Ukraine is held for the first time
  • July 2012 – In Myrhorod, a place is consecrated and the construction of the first Myrhorod Orthodox Church of the Kyiv Patriarchate begins.
  • In September 2012, the gastronomic festival “Myrhorod Pig-2012” takes place for the second time.
  • March 30 – April 1, 2013 – First All-Ukrainian Festival of Wooden Sculpture “Gogol Park”.
  • August 2013 – The jubilee 47th Sorochyn Fair takes place in Myrhorod.
  • February 22, 2014 – the decommunization of Myrhorod region began. On this day, the monument to Lenin was dismantled.

Video essay about Myrhorod

Leave your e-mail,
to keep up with new events

    Skip to content